CAPABLE Model: An Aging in Place Intervention for Older Adults in Central Texas
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS:
St. David’s Foundation is pleased to announce the availability of funds to provide a home-based “aging in place” intervention to low-income older adults in Central Texas through the replication of the Community Aging in Place—Advancing Better Living for Elders (CAPABLE) model, developed by the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing. Applicants eligible to apply for funding to replicate the CAPABLE model include tax-exempt 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations and/or public entities.
CAPABLE uses a multidisciplinary team approach to help vulnerable seniors live safely in their homes. The team consists of three professions– an occupational therapist (OT), a registered nurse (RN), and a handyperson. The team is guided by a commitment that the senior determines his/her own goals for functional improvement. This client-directed approach allows seniors to define the meaningful daily activities they want to achieve, and the CAPABLE team honors their decisions.
The target population to be served by the CAPABLE replication is: low-income (generally defined as under 250% FPL) older adults (generally defined as over age 60), living in Central Texas (Bastrop, Caldwell, Hays, Travis, Williamson counties) who have the desire and cognitive ability to remain in their home, but who have difficulty with activities of daily living that threaten their ability to remain safely at home.
This request for proposals (RFP) expands and complements the Foundation’s existing commitment to support aging in place for vulnerable seniors. More about the Foundation’s aging in place investments can be found here.
- The lead organization/applicant must be a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization or a public entity.
Subcontractors or partner organizations that provide the nursing and/or occupational therapy services may be nonprofit or for-profit entities.
- This opportunity is open to organizations based in Central Texas (Bastrop, Caldwell, Hays, Travis, and Williamson counties), as well as statewide and national organizations able to demonstrate partnerships with local organizations that would implement the CAPABLE program and deliver services.
- Organizations with existing St. David’s Foundation funding may apply.
- Collaborations are encouraged. However, a single applicant must serve as the lead organization and hold financial responsibility for the grant funds and overall CAPABLE program management. The lead organization may subcontract with collaborators or other entities.
- The CAPABLE program proposed must only serve seniors residing in one or more of the five counties that St. David’s Foundation supports (Bastrop, Caldwell, Hays, Travis, and Williamson counties). Organizations must demonstrate capacity to identify and broadly recruit CAPABLE program participants from the geographic area of Central Texas that they propose to serve.
- Organizations that exclude participants or job applicants on the basis of race/ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation are not eligible for funding.
RFP Release Date: April 22, 2019
CAPABLE and RFP Overview Discussion Panel: May 17, 2019
Location: St. David’s Foundation – 1303 San Antonio Street Suite 600 / Austin, TX / 78704
Time: 9:00am – 11:30am
Panelists: Sarah L. Szanton, PhD, ANP, FAAN – Director, Center on Innovative Care in Aging, Johns Hopkins School of Nursing, Bloomberg School of Public Health / Andrew Levack, MPH – Senior Program Officer, St. David’s Foundation / Trey Berndt – Principal, TB Consulting
RSVP: Registration required via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Response Due Date: June 28, 2019, 5:00 pm CST
Late applications will not be considered
Notice of Decision:Late July 2019
Program Start Date/Initial Grant Period: September 2019/16-Month Initial Grant Period, followed by two one-year grant renewals, prior to any re-procurement.
Programmatic Questions:Questions regarding the intent of this RFP or applicant eligibility may be directed to Andrew Levack, Senior Program Officer, ALevack@stdavidsfoundation.org
Technical Submission Questions:Technical questions related to the online application submission may be directed to Vanessa Rocha, Grants Coordinator, VRocha@stdavidsfoundation.org