As vaccinations against COVID-19 begin across the country, St. David’s Foundation supports the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) recommendation regarding the use of these vaccines. The vaccines present a new hope for how our Central Texas community will combat and overcome the COVID-19 pandemic. We support the scientific innovation, industry collaboration, and rapid efforts that have resulted in multiple approved coronavirus vaccines. It is an exciting, positive, and essential step forward for the United States and our world at large.
In addition to practicing CDC-advised protocols such as social distancing, hand washing, and mask-wearing, the path to protecting ourselves and people around us is the use of every possible tool and technology available including the opportunity to receive a vaccine.
Vaccinating our community will require a unified effort across our region – from neighborhood to neighborhood – to educate, build trust, and eliminate barriers that prevent access to this preventative and lifesaving opportunity. Communities of color have inequitably borne the brunt of the crisis, while structural racism and historical medical mistreatment have created significant distrust in health care institutions. We are committed to working alongside the communities we serve to support goals for an equitable distribution of the vaccines and to encourage the practice of safe, socially distant daily protocols.
While experts learn more about the protection that COVID-19 vaccines provide under real-life conditions, it will remain important for everyone to continue following the CDC recommendations:
- Wear a mask over your nose and mouth
- Stay at least 6 feet away from others
- Avoid crowds
- Avoid poorly ventilated spaces
- Wash your hands often
Resources in English:
- Austin Public Health Department: https://austintexas.gov/covid19-vaccines
- Bastrop County: https://www.co.bastrop.tx.us/page/em.coronavirus
- Caldwell County: https://www.co.caldwell.tx.us/page/COVID-19%20Community%20Info
- Hays County: https://hayscountytx.com/departments/local-health-department/, https://hayscountytx.com/covid-19-information-for-hays-county-residents/
- Williamson County: http://www.wcchd.org/, http://www.wcchd.org/COVID-19/vaccine.php
- Texas Department of Health and Human Services: https://www.dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/immunize/vaccine.aspx?mc_cid=b5fbbec21c&mc_eid=b6b1975b00p
- St. David’s Healthcare Coronavirus Resource Hub: https://stdavids.com/covid-19/
- St. David’s Healthcare Vaccine Resource: https://stdavids.com/covid-19/covid-19-vaccine-information/
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/index.html
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention Vaccine FAQ https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/faq.html
Recursos en Espanol:
Centros para el Control y la Prevención de Enfermedades COVID-19 (CDC) : https://espanol.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/index.html
Preguntas frecuentes sobre la vacunación contra el COVID-19 (CDC): https://espanol.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/faq.html